Continued work on revising the Coleophoridae during April has removed another species (37.053 C.betulella) as a misidentifiation.
Some easing of the Coronavirus lockdown allowed for a mothing session at Orlestone forest, producing 3 new species for me, and a visit to Thetford Forest with Ben added Tawny Wave (but still no Grey Carpet).
For some time, I have noticed an occasional glitch on the site in which an image appears on a species page which is clearly the wrong image and involving a different species. I have now worked out that this is because each new Canon camera starts numbering files from 0, so that images taken with different cameras end up having the same filename. Although the correct image is entered on the site when first uploaded, once the page is published Weebly reverts to the first file it finds with that filename. I have renamed images as I find them - but if anyone notices this sort of error please let me know and I will correct them.
Currently I am working on an extensive revision of the Coleophora keys. I will field test these this year (if coronavirus permits) with the aim of publishing next winter. As part of this revision I have removed 37.090 C.artemisicolella from the website (misidentification).
1593 species presented
5 species added to the site this month:
15.0201 Dialectica scalariella was given to me in October by Mick Scott. It is the 2nd British record of this species which was previously in Appendix A of the RES checklist - I have confirmed with David Agassiz that it will now be advanced to the main list. The specimen has been donated to the Natural History Museum.
15.044 Phyllonorycter sorbi - found moribund in my light trap and died before I got to photograph it, but an Essex Red Data species, identified by genital dissection.
35.119 Scrobipalpa samadensis - a worn specimen only identifiable by genital dissection
49.208 Anyclis subarcuana - again a worn specimen from a difficult species group
69.014 Hyles gallii (Bedstraw Hawkmoth)- a pinned specimen.
1588 species presented.
Also this month, I have started using a tabbed format for new species pages and also plan to introduce it as I edit existing species' pages. This will alter the presentation so that it will be easier to go straight to "Variation" showing whole moths to illustrate the variability within a species and also showing whole individuals from different perspectives; "Dissection" showing dissected external parts; "Male genitalia" and "Female genitalia". Where a tab contains no images the heading will be in grey.
Dr Chris Lewis